How do I know if I have oily skin?
- My complexion is blurred, my makeup doesn't hold.
- I have shine, my skin is never clear, my pores are dilated.
- My skin texture is thick.
- I sometimes have small imperfections, especially on the T-zone.
* Unlike combination skin, oily skin is prone to shine all over the face, not just on the T-zone. It tends to shine as soon as it gets up and for the whole day.
The made-to-measure beauty routine
Titre du produit
Titre du produit
Not quite sure if you have oily skin?
Looking for an even more customized routine?
Oily Skin: our 3 Essential Steps
Oily skin is skin that overproduces: it produces excess sebum. Of course, sebum protects the skin, but it also causes shine, which hinders the harmonious renewal of the epidermis. As a result, the skin becomes thicker. Sebum also has an unfortunate tendency to clog the skin's pores and cause small imperfections. However, having shine is not all bad: oily skin is generally less sensitive to irritation and ages better! In any case, rest assured: shine is far from being a fatality and these beauty tips will help you to know all the right gestures to have a beautiful skin!
What is oily skin?
Oily skin is a type of skin whose sebaceous glands work in excess. Over-applied, they can't stop and produce sebum whose composition is not "certified". This sebum is thicker and stickier, thus creating a breeding ground for blackheads and pimples. But oily skin is not necessarily prone to imperfections. Sometimes, we only notice a few dilated pores, especially on the T-zone.
But beware, underneath its tough exterior, oily skin is no less fragile: often treated too harshly (super astringent or purifying routine), it sometimes shows signs of sensitivity. If it feels attacked, it may even rebel and cause the famous "rebound effect". Patience and regularity will get it back on track... gently.
How to recognize an oily skin?
- My face is prone to shine and it's not just limited to the T-zone.
- My skin texture is thick and I have quite large pores.
- My complexion is blurred, my skin is never clear.
- My makeup doesn't hold up.
- I sometimes have small imperfections.
What are the causes?
- Internal factors
The sebaceous glands work under the control of certain hormones: androgens (also called male hormones - which is why men are often more prone to excess sebum). A hormonal imbalance in these hormones can lead to excessive shine (this is sometimes the case for some women at the time of menstruation, when there is an androgenic peak).
Hormone treatments can also cause the sebaceous glands to behave abnormally.
- External factors
Perhaps you've noticed that your skin shines more in the spring or summer? This is perfectly normal. A 1°C increase in skin temperature triggers a 10% increase in sebum production.
But it is also possible that a skin regularly weakened by an irritating care product comes to defend itself with excessive shine. Aggression and drying out the skin with alcoholic tonics can also create this effect.
How to stop having oily skin?
Cleaning the face: the right gestures to adopt
Double cleansing is ideal for all skin types: it is the most effective and gentle cleansing method. By meticulously cleansing your face every night, you can better prepare your skin to receive specific treatments. Indeed, a well-cleansed skin will be better oxygenated and will fully benefit from its care routine. This is the most important step in any skin care routine!
First step, I start with a oil or a make-up remover balm This product will emulsify all the fatty substances present on the skin's surface, such as sebum, pollution and makeup (including waterproof mascara!). It is therefore the most delicate way to eliminate shine without damaging or drying the skin. Thus, little by little, it allows to rebalance and to cleanse gently an oily skin. Moreover, the oily texture will also start to soften and bring comfort to the skin. These benefits will be perfect for caring for sensitive or dehydrated areas such as the cheeks.
In the second step, to refine the result and cleanse deeply, we follow the oil or balm with a foaming but soap-free cleansing gel. This gentle cleanser will also begin to treat your skin problems: excess sebum, imperfections or blotchy complexion while bringing a feeling of purity to skin in search of freshness. Looking for smoothness? Cleansing creams are not just for dry skin: some are formulated with a clay base and are particularly suitable for oily skin. Want to try other formulas? Our guide "choose your skin cleanser" will help you discover other gems !
Perform a gentle exfoliation to purify your skin
Exfoliation is the "beautiful skin" gesture par excellence (provided that it is gentle and does not rhyme with irritation)! By eliminating excess dead cells, thefacial scrub optimizes the penetration of the active ingredients, I gain in softness and brightness, while fighting against the small imperfections (brown spots, buttons, dilated pores).
Protect your skin with a care oil
Finally, we finish our routine by protecting our skin with a care oil adapted to the needs of oily skin. This oil, provided that it is fine and of vegetable origin, will allow to regulate the oily skin. Rich in essential fatty acids and nutrients, it is the gesture which brings comfort and fights against the dehydrationIt also provides the skin with the oil it needs to stop producing excess sebum.
How to choose make-up for oily skin?
We think of light formulas, without fatty substance and we abuse the powders, with the longer behaviour. After your day care, slip on a foundation like Perfect Canvas Ren Skincare to perfect the hold of your foundation. foundation and prepare a "smooth surface".
Which foundation works well for oily skin?
Jane Iredale's PurePressed Base SP20 powder foundation is best suited for combination to oily skin. The mineral pigments adhere to the skin for long-lasting, adjustable coverage and staying power.
What other products should I use to take care of my skin?
To maximize results, I add a few well-chosen specific gestures to my routine. A purifying toner, a cleansing mask, a day cream with a light moisturizer... I choose from among these adapted and targeted treatments to offer myself the most complete routine.
Our beauty tips to avoid shine
- Do not forget that the cleaning must be ultra-minute, but never aggressive. In the morning, we do a simple cleansing. In the evening, double cleansing is the key, with products that include purifying and antibacterial ingredients.
- Focus on absorbent skin care products: choose, for example, a mattifying cream that absorbs excess sebum thanks to "blotting powders" and rebalances the skin in the long term.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week, because oily skin clogs up more quickly than others. Ideally with an enzymatic or chemical exfoliant (we love the antibacterial salicylic acid), so as not to aggress the skin with the mechanical action of the grains.
- Couple the exfoliation with a deep cleansing mask (with green clay for example), perfect to eliminate shine, tighten pores and reveal a fresh complexion.
- Do not try to "strip" your skin at all costs with detergent soaps, alcohol-based lotions or grainy scrubs, as this would only boost sebum production and make your skin sensitive. On the other hand, do not choose milks that are too greasy, which will overload the skin.
- Banish mineral oils (I track down "Mineral Oil" or "Paraffinum Liquidum" in the formulas), which have a strong protective power thanks to their film-forming action, but which risk suffocating oily skin and stimulating imperfections. To be sure to choose your vegetable oil according to your skin typeour complete guide will give you the best tips.
- Beware of the sun, which is a false friend: it first dries out pimples, but when you return from vacation, sebum production accelerates and pimples resurface... This is the rebound effect!