To choose your deodorantTo choose a deodorant, two criteria come into play: the format (a format that you are not used to can be discouraging), then its composition. However, between the different durations of protection, the spray or roll-on formats, the mini and compressed formats, the nuances between natural deodorant or organic deodorantdeodorant, the many promises on the effectiveness and absence of harmful substances, it is not so easy to choose the right deodorant... But we would all like to have peace of mind throughout the day thanks to deodorant :-) To help you make the right choice, discover our advice!
Which active ingredients in deodorants should be avoided?
In order to help you make a better choice on the shelves, here is a list of the main ingredients most often found in "conventional" deodorants.
- Phthalates: their harmful effects are mainly on fertility
- Triclosan: an endocrine disruptor with associated reproductive effects
- Denatured alcohol: irritant, not recommended for sensitive skin
- Talc: its origin is often uncertain. Depending on the deposit where it was extracted, it may contain mineral fibres classified in the same way as asbestos fibres.
What is the difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant?
In reality, deodorant and antiperspirant fall into two quite distinct categories, both in terms of composition and mode of action.
L'antiperspirantThe antiperspirant, via an agent (e.g. aluminium salts), will form a layer on the sweat glands and thus tighten the pores of the skin. This prevents, at least in part, the healthy and natural process of sweating from taking place normally.
A deodorantA deodorant, on the other hand, does not fight against the production of sweat but helps to mask those odours that we are trying to avoid. With its antibacterial agents and perfumes, deodorant masks bad odours and eliminates the bacteria that cause them, or it can be used to absorb odours, or it can be a combination of these two actions.
What type of deodorant should I choose?
They come in different sizes, so the choice will depend on your preferences, but also on the cause of your sweating.
- The deodorant spray It is quick and easy to apply and dries quickly.
- The roll-on / roll-on deodorant The roll-on / roll-on deodorant: It does not smell strong in the room and preserves the environment.
- The deodorant stick It is less greasy than the cream, but a little more nourishing than the roll-on.
- The cream deodorant It cares for the skin under the arms and prevents it from drying out.
What is the best natural deodorant?
An essential hygiene product, it is used every day to act on the armpits. In this area, where the skin is particularly fragile, skin care products penetrate more easily into the body, at repeated intervals. Hence the interest in opting for a natural deodorant with more respectful ingredients. Let's also think about the environment: when you wash, all the active ingredients are eliminated in the waste water. The problem is that some of the active ingredients are so small that sewage treatment plants are not able to "sort" them out. They will therefore pollute the water...
Among our selection:
- The most universal: The Natural Sensitive Deodorant Jasmine Tea , Schmidt's. Non-sticky and non-greasy, it fights against the development of bacteria and avoids bad odours.
- The most effective, regardless of the conditions: The Holi(Stick) N°3 Deodorant Stick Classic, Nator agent. It protects the skin all day long, while moisturizing and soothing it with a cocktail of honey, avocado and coconut.
Which organic deodorant to choose?
A organic deodorant will work in different ways:
- It can mask bad smells through comforting scents (perfumes, essential oils...)
- It can absorb sweat with vegetable or mineral powders.
- It may contain antibacterial or bactericidal substances, thus preventing them from multiplying.
For sensitive skin: The Citrus Delicate Deodorant Soapwalla. Very soft, it is perfectly adapted to reactive skins. It absorbs odours and humidity, thanks to its duo of active charcoal and clay.
For a fresh feeling: The Roll-On Deodorant Charcoal and Magnesium Schmidt's. It penetrates quickly and absorbs perspiration without blocking it. Its soft fragrance is very invigorating.
To discover our selection of natural and organic deodorants, go to here